About Me

My photo
Tokyo, Japan
The Hon. Dr. Hideyasu M. R. "Hide" Sasaki is a computer scientist working in Gov't of Japan for Artificial Intelligence Initiative and Catholic lawyer admitted to practice in New York, the United States.

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Professor Randal C. "Randy" Picker at the University of Chicago Law School suddenly passed away on August 15, 2026. I was shocked by this tremendous loss for our alma mater and academia. I still remember what happened in his law and game theory seminar in the winter quarter of 1999. It was late in the afternoon. Randy showed us his latest findings about a strategic tactic that he was planning to write about for a book on antitrust and economic analysis. A classmate of ours, who had just completed a master's program in pure mathematics at MIT, politely pointed out that a mathematical formula Randy had written on the blackboard seemed to have a flaw. Randy frankly asked him to clarify it for the class. The classmate promised he would bring a better solution the following week. In the next session of the seminar, he brought in his laptop—a rare sight for a student presentation back in 1999—and demonstrated an animation showing that his alternative mathematical formula performed better than Randy's. Randy openly admired what the student had done and appreciated him for correcting his mistake in front of all of us. I was deeply impressed by how humble and honest a giant in academia like him could be. I made up my mind that someday I would follow his example if I were to hold an academic position somewhere. Randy was, is, and always will be my compass in academia. I am truly heartbroken to have lost him. We all love you so much, Randy!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.