About Me

My photo
Tokyo, Japan
The Hon. Dr. Hideyasu M. R. "Hide" Sasaki is a computer scientist working in Gov't of Japan for Artificial Intelligence Initiative and Catholic lawyer admitted to practice in New York, the United States.

Thursday, August 6, 2026

It was nearly 19 years ago when I first visited Hiyoshi Taisha Shrine in Sakamoto, Otsu, Japan. I headed to the shrine office, a building built in a traditional Japanese style. It was around 5:30 am when I stepped into the entrance hall and saw a woman dressed in a kimono walking upstairs. I assumed she was the person presiding over the meeting I was invited to. So, I stayed in the hall and waited for her to come back down. However, she never reappeared, even after half an hour. Then, a group of ladies arrived and asked why I hadn't gone upstairs to wait for them. I explained that another lady was using the upper floor to change or prepare. Puzzled, they called over a staff member of the office. He informed us that no one had entered the building before me. We all went upstairs together but found the floor completely empty. When I described what I had seen, the clerk replied, "That happens quite often here. The 'tanuki' (Japanese raccoon dogs) like to play tricks on people."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.